The Investigation Process
What to expect after you file a complaint:
- Filing a complaint – You must file a complaint with the Commission within 365 days of the date the alleged act of discrimination took place. Once your complaint is processed, you will be advised of your rights and responsibilities.
- Mediation – This is a process in which an impartial person helps parties resolve their dispute prior to a lengthy investigation.
- Investigation – If the dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, the Commission will conduct a full investigation that is objective, timely and efficient.
- Determination – A determination is issued indicating whether or not there is adequate evidence of discrimination.
- Notification – You will be notified of the Commission’s determination and will receive instructions on how to seek the remedies provided for under the law, which could result in a hearing or civil action in a court of law.