Who Can File?
It is against the law to do any of the following based on race, sex, pregnancy, disability, nationality, religion, color or familial status:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, rental or sale
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan
- Impose different conditions or terms on a loan
- Threaten, coerce or intimidate any individual exercising a fair housing right
- Refuse reasonable changes to your dwelling to accommodate a disability
(Under Chapter 760 of the Florida Statutes and the federal and Florida Fair Housing Act)
Real estate agents, brokers, landlords or anyone in the housing business has violated these laws if they encourage a homeowner to sell or rent with discriminatory intent.
Unless a housing community is complying with the requirements of a 55+ housing community, they cannot deny a family with children under the age of 18 from residing there.